Skip Nav

Contact Us

Bill's Quality Electric, LLC

Thank you for your interest in Bill's Quality Electric, LLC. Complete the form below to send us an email, or simply give us a call. We're looking forward to working with you.

  • 1800 S McDonald St
    McKinney, TX 75069
  • 214-697-3134

    Thank You!

    Your message has been sent.

    Oops, message not sent.

    Please make sure fields are complete.

    Electrical Safety: Being Proactive Part 6

    Welcome back to our Electrical Safety Series on Being Proactive here at Bill’s Quality Electric, LLC. We have been doing a home tour looking for electrical hazards in the different rooms, starting with the bathroom with Part I and II, then on to the bedroom with Part 3 and 4, along with the living room in Part 5.

    Today we are focusing our attention toward the children with some tips on helping to prevent electrical shock and fire as well as teaching electrical safety in the home as parents and grandparents.

    We all want the children to be safe at all times in the home, and there are situations that can occur that we all want to avoid.

    The first recommendation for electrical safety and especially the prevention of electrical shock is the Tamper Resistant Receptacle. This device prevents the insertion of objects that don’t belong in them such as paper clips and other objects that a child may be tempted to insert into the outlet and possibly get electrocuted. In older homes, these outlets are not installed in the living spaces. So if you own an older home, if you have children present in your home either as a parent, grandparent or friend, consider having the outlets upgraded to TRRs to prevent electrical shock. It is required by the National Electrical Code for all new homes to already be fitted with TRRs.

    Another area of recommendation for the kid’s safety is teaching them proper cooking procedures and the proper usage of appliances, such as toasters, toaster ovens, microwaves and the stove top, which can include never inserting a utensil into a toaster when it is plugged in, as well as always remaining in the kitchen when cooking. Always unplug the appliances when cleaning them!

    When it comes to using an electrical appliance, it’s important to emphasize the proper way to plug and unplug anything that is powered by electricity. Emphasize using the plug itself when putting it into an outlet and not pulling by the cord when unplugging, otherwise the cord can be damaged under the protective covering, causing the possibility of electrical shock and even fire. This can include appliances used in the bathroom such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, or dental appliances.

    Another recommendation is the proper usage of phones and other electrical devices that are computer oriented, such as iPads, laptops, etc. Be sure to emphasize when charging or using such devices, to always place the item on a non-flammable surface, away from bedding or cushions/pillows and the fabric on furniture. And please do not charge your phone and use it while in the bathtub! This is a huge no-no concerning electrical shock. All it takes is one episode of electrical contact while in water to cause a fatality. We want to keep our children safe, so let’s keep them informed and emphasize why these are dangers and to take them seriously.

    Consider the hazard of overloading outlets by plugging in too many items thus leading to overheating, overload and possible fire in the outlet or the wall. Teach your kids about wattage and show them how much is too much, whether they plug directly into an outlet, power strip, or use an extension cord, which is only for temporary usage to remain safe.

    Another recommendation is also outside the home, concerning playing outdoors, whether climbing trees, flying kites or other such activity. Remind the children to stay away from power lines, power stations, and other dangerous areas that can lead to electrical shock and possible fatality. Any contact with electricity with a power line, even in a tree, can lead to electrical shock with your child as the ground for that electricity. Get to know where these dangers are located around your home and in your neighborhood to help prevent accidents, injury or death.

    We all want our kids to be safe, no matter where they are; but we can especially be proactive when it comes to how safe they are in their own bedrooms, in the living room and kitchen, and wherever they spend time. Your words of wisdom cannot be overstated or over-emphasized since they can safe a life! Let’s Stay Electrically Safe and Smart together as families and friends and do what we can to spread the electrical safety word.

    For more electrical safety tips and updates, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook where we share regular updates to help keep you informed. Also, subscribe to our new YouTube Channel which is your Electrical Safety Resource!

    Remember, if you own a business or home in Collin County area of North Texas and are in need of electrical service, repair or installation (especially with keeping your kids safe!), give us a call at 214.697.3134 to schedule an appointment with Bill’s Quality Electric, LLC. We look forward to doing business with you!