Skip Nav

Contact Us

Bill's Quality Electric, LLC

Thank you for your interest in Bill's Quality Electric, LLC. Complete the form below to send us an email, or simply give us a call. We're looking forward to working with you.

  • 1800 S McDonald St
    McKinney, TX 75069
  • 214-697-3134

    Thank You!

    Your message has been sent.

    Oops, message not sent.

    Please make sure fields are complete.

    Electrical Safety: Being Proactive Part 4

    Welcome back to our Electrical Safety Series on Being Proactive with Bill’s Quality Electric, LLC. So far we have been doing a home tour to help spot electrical hazards to help us to be more aware of what could create an electrical shock or fire and how to prevent them in the first place. In Part I and II, we covered the bathroom hazards. In Part 3 we began coverage in the bedroom with our focus on lighting.

    In today’s post which is Part 4 of this series, we will focus on the issue of the possibility of fires and what can cause them in the bedroom. First we need to remember what is combustable in the bedroom such as curtains, bedding, garments, furniture material, and anything else that is likely to burn when the surroundings warrant it.

    Two sources of possible fire in the bedroom are these: Space heaters and devices for the internet, such as cell phones, iPads, etc.

    First we’ll discuss the space heater, that delightful appliance that provides additional warmth to spaces that could use a little extra to keep us comfy cozy. But where are we putting them and how are we plugging them in?

    The Dilemma that often occurs is the issue of no outlet where you need one, so an extension cord may come into play, which is this case, is an immediate cause for concern, due to the probability of overheating. All space heaters need to be plugged directly into an outlet to be safely used.

    The other dilemma is placing the space heater where it’s too close to something that can burn. Think, putting it next to the bed too close to the covers; or putting it too close to curtains. The minimum space should be three feet from anything that it can ignite. If it’s necessary, have another outlet added to your bedroom space where it would be the safest and yet the most effective. Then you can decrease the possibility of fire and rest your mind about this electrical hazard when you use the heater.

    Now to cover those electrically charged devices we often bring into the bedroom, whether it’s to check our email, watch another video, binge our favorite show or play a game with a loved one. Remembering to only charge that device where it can be placed and not overheat, such as a side table, chest of drawers (watch out for those fabric doilies that decorate!), or some other non-combustable surface. Never leave a device on the bed or chair cushion so eliminate the possibility of overheating and causing a fire.

    It’s so easy to forget about these possible electrical hazards when we’re going about our day, often on autopilot, and not thinking about how one action overlooking these possibilities of hazard could turn our greatly loved space into a tinderbox. Let’s make it a priority to keep our safety in mind by being proactive and aware of what actions can keep us safe and sound in the bedroom, and wherever we happen to be.

    Let this post be a reminder as we work together to Stay Electrically Safe and Smart! To stay informed on future posts just like this one, be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook where we share electrical safety, fire and shock prevention tips, keeping you informed! And do subscribe to our YouTube Channel which is Your Electrical Safety Resource, where we announce new content on our blog, share electrical safety reminders and share links for your convenience and safety.

    If you own a business or home in Collin County area of North Texas and are in need of electrical service, repair or installation, such as adding that all essential outlet for a space heater or device, give us a call at 214.697.3134 to schedule an appointment with Bill’s Quality Electric, LLC. We look forward to doing business with you!