Skip Nav

Contact Us

Bill's Quality Electric, LLC

Thank you for your interest in Bill's Quality Electric, LLC. Complete the form below to send us an email, or simply give us a call. We're looking forward to working with you.

  • 4917 Highlands Dr
    McKinney, TX 75070
  • 214-697-3134

Thank You!

Your message has been sent.

Oops, message not sent.

Please make sure fields are complete.

Electrical Safety: Swimming Pool Savvy

It’s the sweet summertime and we certainly want the living to be a bit easier, don’t we? Especially when it comes with hanging out by the pool and enjoying some down time. Whether you’re swimming, splashing, or taking a dive, here at Bill’s Quality Electric, LLC, we always want to keep you informed on electrical hazards to avoid to help keep your summer sweet. You will find some essential tips on swimming pool safety and what you can do to avoid accidents, injury or even death from coming into contact with electricity when you least expect it.

If you don’t already have a swimming pool, our first word is to have your pool equipment installed by a qualified licensed electrician; that equipment will be required to include GFCI protection for any outlets near water or outside. This protects you from electrical shock since GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interruptors) cut off the power before it reaches you in the presence of water.

If you already have a swimming pool installed, then our next word is to have your equipment inspected to be sure everything is in proper working order. There is no room for error here, since this equipment is meant to protect you as well as enable proper function of your swimming pool. And if there are any issues that are discovered, be sure to have them repaired as soon as possible before you use the swimming pool. It’s always best to be cautious especially when it comes to protecting yourself from injury or death.

Now let’s discuss in-the-pool lighting. It is essential that the electrical lights inside the pool be installed and maintained properly. If any damage or malfunction occurs, it could become a deadly hazard that could leak electrical current into the water. And if that current is present when someone enters the pool, they could experience Electric Shock Drowning, which can occur when the electrical current creates a paralyzing effect on the body that would make it impossible to tread water, thus leading to drowning. In the case of someone struggling to swim once they have entered, the first step is to cut the power to the pool (and call 911). You don’t want to enter a pool that has electrical current in the water or you would end up paralyzed too. And an additional word of caution: do not leave children unattended in or around the swimming pool; it’s simply not worth the risk of the possibility of a drowning, with or without the presence of electrical current in the water.

Now back to that sweet sensational summertime feeling of relaxing by the pool…remember to never have anything in your possession plugged into an outlet if you are near water. Water and electricity do not mix. Be sure to take precautions and not step right into a hazard that you may not be able to step out of.

When it comes time to maintain the pool and remove debris with that pool skimmer, be sure to know where power lines are located around your home and carry the skimmer horizontal to avoid contact with any electrical wires. That is certainly an electrical hazard you’ll want to avoid!

If you’re looking to have an electrical inspection on your swimming pool and you live in the Collin County area of North Texas, do give us a call at 214.697.3134 to schedule an appointment. We look forward to dong business with you!

For more relevant electrical safety, shock and fire prevention information, do follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook where we keep you informed with tips and updates. You’re also welcome to subscribe to our YouTube Channel which is your Electrical Safety Resource! Do share this post with a friend, especially if they have a swimming pool so you can all Stay Electrically Safe and Smart!