Skip Nav

Contact Us

Bill's Quality Electric, LLC

Thank you for your interest in Bill's Quality Electric, LLC. Complete the form below to send us an email, or simply give us a call. We're looking forward to working with you.

  • 1800 S McDonald St
    McKinney, TX 75069
  • 214-697-3134

    Thank You!

    Your message has been sent.

    Oops, message not sent.

    Please make sure fields are complete.

    Electrical Safety: Fire Starters Part 1

    Welcome to our Fire Starter Series! Here at Bill’s Quality Electric, LLC our aim is to keep you informed so you can Stay Electrically Safe and Smart, and part of that approach is giving you information to help reduce if not eliminate fires that may occur in your home. One way to do that is to share with you specific electrical hazards to avoid that can lead to fires. Thus, our Fire Starter Series will be showcasing different scenarios that you may not be aware of that can put you in harm’s way.

    For this first post in our series, we will focus on a common error that folks make when using a Room Air Conditioner. Of course, modern homes have air conditioning systems that circumvent the need for a room air conditioner, but for those who are in older homes or who have a space in a garage or other such building without an A/C system, Room air conditioners may be called for.

    The issue that we may run into is the distance between a window where the A/C unit is desired and an outlet to plug it into. Yep.


    “Why?” you may ask. Not all Extension cords are designed to hold the amount of amperage that an A/C unit uses to work properly. Then there’s the issue of the cord end on the A/C unit where it’s connected to the extension cord laying on a carpet or any combustible material possibly creating a fire hazard you want to avoid. As tempting as it may be to use an extension cord for that extra reach, DON’T DO IT. It’s not worth the risk. In addition to a fire hazard, when an extension cord pulls apart from the end plug, it can also become a shock hazard. It is NOT recommended using an extension cord other than a TVSS power strip on any appliance.

    So, what to do instead? Have an outlet that is suitable for an A/C unit to be plugged into added Where You Need It. Always plug in your A/C directly into an outlet. There is no other way to do it and stay safe.

    Prevent that electrical fire before it starts! Always remember that any large appliance that has a higher amperage needs to be plugged directly into a suitable outlet to be used properly and to reduce or eliminate the possibility of electrical fire.

    And another caution? Be sure that the A/C unit you are using is working properly, especially if it isn’t new. A malfunction is the unit can also lead to fire, even if it is plugged in properly. Always reference the manufacturer’s instructions for proper usage.

    Only use an extension cord according to manufacturer’s instructions as well, no matter what you’re using it for. It’s always better to be safe rather than at risk.

    To stay informed about our next Fire Starter post or for any Electrical Safety Tips and Updates we share, do follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook, and you’re also welcome to subscribe to our YouTube Channel, which is Your Electrical Safety Resource!

    If you’re in need of an outlet installed in your home or for any other electrical repair or installation in your business or home and you are located in the Collin County area of North Texas, give us a call at 214.697.3134 to schedule an appointment. We look forward to doing business with you!